Friday, June 13, 2014

Lon Wa Temple, Davao City

My second time in Davao! Thanks to my new job – I get to travel for free.

Day 1: I only had few hours and luckily, there's this temple near our hotel (Pearl Suites). It's called Lon Wa temple – one of the biggest Buddhist temples in the Philippines. It's along Cabaguio Street. Either you take a cab (which I don't recommend) or PUJ and tell the driver to drop you off at Lon Wa Temple. My hotel's just near so I just took a walk.



Hidden Story: I asked the locals where that temple was and they gave me a wrong direction. I ended up walking in a slum-like street and knocking on the gate of an abandoned Chinese temple instead. It turned out that those places were a bit dangerous, but thanks to their strict Mayor Duterte – people are too afraid of him to do anything anti-tourist.

Don't ask the Davaoneos which is “kaliwa” or “kanan”. Better say left or right.

Lon Wa Temple. They said the temple holds different summer program such as Wu Shu and the like. Perhaps this year's program's Kung Fu?





You'll be greeted by this big smiling Buddha statue at the entrance.

You'll see lots of Buddhist-related sayings on the wall which are really inspiring.




Wood carvings inside.


Bookshelf that contains a collection of Chinese or Buddhist books.


Prayer room 1.



Prayer room 2.


It was my first time to see a real monk! This place is good for a quick stop over.

No comments:

Post a Comment